Innovating in Cutting-Edge Data Science
This session features three research presentations from investigators in the Department of Medicine discussing opportunities related to the third strategy in the Department's Research Strategic Plan.
The power of purple sheets: Utilizing patient-reported data to advance lupus care and research
Megan Clowse, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine (Rheumatology and Immunology)
Creating an EHR-enabled network to drive research: The DCRI-Cerner partnership
Ann Marie Navar, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Cardiology)
Data Science: Where metrics and medicine meet
Armando Bedoya, M.D.
Associate Vice Chair of Data Science
Medical Instructor (Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine)
- Review the basic elements of data science as they pertain to modern medicine.
- Provide an overview of techniques crossing clinical and scientific practice such as the use of purple sheets for data extraction.
- Provide a working definition for both clinical and research-oriented data science.
- Provide a summary of current Department of Medicine data science efforts in partnership with the Duke Clinical Research Institute.
Presenters have disclosed the following research support:
- Dr. Clowse is consultant to UCB, Astra-Zeneca, and GSK.
- Dr. Navar receives support from Janssen, Amgen, Amarin, Sanofi, Regeneron and is consultant to Novartis, Novo Nordisk, BI, Esperion, New Amsterdam, and Cerner Corp.
- Dr. Bedoya has no disclosures.
About the series
Medicine Research Seminar Series is a monthly presentation of outstanding research in the Department of Medicine. The series is designed to foster new initiatives and collaborations among our faculty, fellows and residents. Diego Bohorquez, Ph.D., and Scott Palmer, M.D., MHS, coordinate the series. Contact Ashton Spicer if you have research to share or a colleague to recommend.
Lunch will be provided at 11:45 a.m.
Please arrive early.
Audience questions and panel discussion will follow the presentations.